Derecho Recovery Resource Guide

FEMA has approved Individual Assistance for families in Polk County affected by the derecho. For more information:

Iowa was recently hit by one of the most destructive storms in our history, and now we need to come together as a community to help our friends and neighbors.

Volunteers are needed to help with recovery efforts. If you are able, you can find a list of volunteer opportunities at

Find Rep. Axne's Derecho Resources Guide one pager here.

General Resources

211Iowa - For assistance with food, shelter, and general needs, you can: Call ‘211’, text your zip code to 898211, or visit

State Disaster Services - Visit for the Iowa State Disaster Services, which connects Iowans to resources & help following a disaster.

Red Cross Emergency Shelter - If you are in need of a place to stay or emergency shelter, call the Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS (733-2767) and you will be connected with a worker who can help you.

Food Pantries - If you and your family are in need of food or food assistance, please visit to find a food pantry near you.


Financial Assistance

There are state and federal grants and loans available to individuals, families, and businesses in need of assistance. As a reminder, insurance is your first line of defense. Be sure to file your insurance claims and stay in touch with your insurance company. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments.

For more information on what grants you may qualify for from the Iowa Department of Human Services, FEMA, and more, visit:

The United States Department of Agriculture also has relief and assistance programs for farmers and agriculture workers and communities. You can find a full list at:

Individual Assistance: 

FEMA has approved Individual Assistance for families in Polk County affected by the derecho. Learn more here:

Homeowners and renters in Benton, Boone, Cedar, Jasper, Marshall, Polk, Poweshiek, Scott, Story and Tama Counties may now apply for FEMA Individual Assistance for losses resulting from the severe storms on Aug. 10, 2020. Linn county was previously approved for Individual Assistance.

Assistance provided by FEMA for homeowners can include grants for repairs to make their primary home habitable. Rental assistance is available to pay for temporary housing for homeowners and renters. Lodging expense reimbursement may be available to eligible households who may have stayed in a hotel for a short period of time.

FEMA assistance can also help with other disaster-related needs like replacing essential household items, and medical and dental expenses.

Businesses, homeowners and renters may be eligible for disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

First, if you haven’t already done so, contact your insurance company and file a claim for the disaster-caused damage you’ve suffered.  You don’t have to wait for FEMA to start cleaning up but be sure to take photographs or video of the damage and keep all receipts for repair work.

If you have losses not covered by insurance, contact FEMA by either going online to or by calling the helpline at 800-621-3362.

Applicants will need the following to apply. You can upload all required documents at

  • Address of the damaged property
  • Description of disaster-caused damage and losses
  • Current mailing address
  • Current telephone number
  • Social Security number of one member of the household
  • Insurance information
  • Total household annual income
  • Bank account routing and account number for direct deposit
  • Save your FEMA registration number, also known as FEMA ID number.
  • Check your account for updates.

Survivors in Benton, Boone, Cedar, Jasper, Linn, Marshall, Polk, Poweshiek, Scott, Story and Tama counties can apply for assistance by calling 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 for TTY users. Users of 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) may call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Central Time, seven days a week, until further notice. Survivors may register online at

Small Business Administration Disaster Loans

You and your family may qualify for SBA Disaster Loans. Find more information here:


Resource Guide: