Emergency Flood Resources

If you have been impacted by the flood and need assistance with a federal agency, please complete this form. A member from my team will be in touch shortly.




Shelter – American Red Cross

Website: https://www.redcross.org/shelter

Call: Red Cross Hotline (844) 334-7569 if you have been displaced due to flooding

  • Harrison
    • Rand Community Center
      • 100 S 4th St., Missouri Valley, IA 51555
  • Pottawattamie
    • Salem United Methodist Church
      • 14955 Somerset Ave., Council Bluffs IA 51503
  • Fremont
    • Sidney United Faith Church and Community Center
      • 1975 U.S Highway 275, Sidney IA 51652
  • Page
    • Shenandoah Armory and Community Center
      • 423 W Thomas Ave., Shenandoah IA 51601 
  • Mills
    • Calvary Baptist Church
      • 56456 221st St., Glenwood, IA 51534
    • Mills County Storehouse
      • 405 Nuckolls St., Glenwood IA 51534
      • Food pantry; clothing; household items
    • West Central Community Action
      • 313 Main St., Malvern IA 51551
      • Food pantry; clothing




Iowa Individual Disaster Assistance Grant Program

The Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program provides grants of up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $41,560 for a family of three. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food, and temporary housing expenses. Original receipts are required for those seeking reimbursement for actual expenses related to storm recovery. This grant program is activated when the Governor issues a disaster proclamation turning on IIAGP for the affected counties. For a listing of current disaster proclamations that are eligible for this grant, visit www.dhs.iowa.gov/disaster-assistance-programs. The grant application and instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Human Services website.

Reporting Damage 

Residents of counties impacted by the recent severe weather are asked to report damage to help local and state officials better understand the damage sustained. Damage to property, roads, utilities, and other storm-related information may be reported. This information will be collected by the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and shared with local emergency management agencies. Report damage through the form provided by the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management

7900 Hickman Road, Suite 500

Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324

Phone (515) 725-3231

FAX (515) 725-3260

Iowa Disaster Case Management

Disaster Case Management is a program to address serious needs to overcome a disaster-related hardship, injury or adverse condition. Disaster case managers work with clients to create a disaster recovery plan and provide guidance, advice, and referral to obtain a service or resource. There are no income eligibility requirements for this program; it closes 180 days from the date of the governor's proclamation. For information on the Disaster Case Management Program, contact your local community action association or visit www.iowacommunityaction.org. You can also visit https://www.iowa.gov/disaster-recovery-resources for more information.

Crisis Line and Counseling

Crisis line: 844-258-8858 and Online Counseling https://www.cicsmhds.org 


Scammers take advantage of disaster zones – especially in regards to receiving grants and fixing houses.  Consumers are encouraged to contact the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office if they have consumer complaints about questionable contractors or about price-gouging. Price gouging is charging exorbitant and unjustified prices for products or services that are necessary for disaster victims. More information available here: https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/for-consumers/general-consumer-information/home-improvements--repairs/natural-disasters-cleanup-and-repairs/

  • Phone number: 515-281-5926 (toll-free number outside of the Des Moines area: 888-777-4590)




United States Department of Agriculture (USDA):

USDA provides food, emergency housing, community, as well as farmer and rancher assistance to individuals and small businesses affected by severe storms and flooding. For more information on those resources, visit: https://www.usda.gov/topics/disaster/storms

USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) County Offices:

FSA offices can immediately assist farmers in filing claims for livestock and crop loss. FSA offices can also assist with any noninsured crops. Livestock that have either been lost AND/OR injured also can be filed here. For more information on USDA Farm Service Agency assistance for farmers and agriculture businesses impacted by the flood, visit: https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/conservation-programs/emergency-conservation/index

Des Moines State Office: 515-254-1540

Fremont FSA: 712-374-2691

Mill FSA: 712-624-8668

USDA National Resource Conservation Service (NRCS):

NRCS can assist in cases were flooding erosion is occurring, and can work to prevent it within their Emergency Watershed Protection Program. They provide engineering and technical assistance, as well as some debris removal. A request must be placed by a local, county, or state agency for their services. You find more information here: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/programs/?cid=nrcseprd1361073.

Iowa State Office: (515) 265-2148

Risk Management Agency:

Can immediately begin assisting farmers with insurance claims.

Northwest Regional Office is in St. Paul, MN (651) 290-3304

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):

Provides resources and information on how to safely re-enter a flooded area or home. More information and safety tips available here: https://www.epa.gov/natural-disasters/flooding.